OSU masthead and toolbar

The Ohio State University
  1. Help
  2. Campus map
  3. Find people
  4. Webmail

The Undergraduate Research Thesis


Get Started
  What is Research?
  How do I get Involved?
  Nuts and Bolts
  Write a Thesis

  Discover Research    

  Present at Forums
  Publish in Journals
  Explore Resources
  Find Funding
Summer Institute

Research Office

  About the Office
  Research Kudos
  Contact Us



Announcing a New Option for Recognizing Undergraduate Research

The Office of Undergraduate Education and the Council on Academic Affairs are pleased to announce a new research thesis option that complements the existing thesis options for Honors students.  Pending approval by the Board of Trustees in February 2011, any student with a GPA of 3.0 or higher will be eligible to consider this new option by Spring 2011, including students from disciplines in which research takes the form of creative projects or scholarship.

As noted below, students need a faculty research advisor and a substantial body of completed work to fulfill the thesis requirements. 

Students who complete a thesis (or project) by meeting the requirements listed below will graduate with “Research Distinction” in the discipline of the thesis topic noted on their transcript; Honors students will graduate with “Honors Research Distinction” in the discipline. 

Requirements for graduating with “Research Distinction”

Frequently Asked Questions: for Students

Frequently Asked Questions: for Faculty

Requirements for graduating with “Honors Research Distinction” (under construction)

Please check this web page for updates with additional information.

The specific procedures and forms for completing the Undergraduate Research Thesis are still being developed, both at the university level and within each academic unit.

Return to top
Copyright, 2010. The Ohio State University.
This page is maintained by: The Undergraduate Research Office.
If you have trouble accessing this page and need to request an alternate format, contact The Undergraduate Research Office at 614-292-8307.